Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Learning Experience in High school

Over Spring Break I had the opportunity to spend time observing and helping the students at my high school. I contacted my old teacher and I was able to spend Monday through Friday there. It was so helpful because it really taught me some valuable things. I realized that it is super important to be able to adapt to the environment given. On Tuesday a bird had managed to find its way into the choir room but could not find its way out for hours! Every class period was the same with the students looking up and ducking when it would swoop. I thought my teacher had done a wonderful job of addressing the situation. He was able to tell the kids that if they were willing to get over it then he would too and they could move on. The students responded to his stern manner and were able to accomplish quite a bit considering the circumstances. I also learned that if you give students an inch they will take a mile. Some of the students were preparing for solo ensemble contest and while these students were working with the teacher, the other students were allowed to study quietly. The part time teacher let the boys get away with running around and yelling and such and they walked all over him. They took advantage of the small amount of freedom and by the end of the class two boys had to be sent to the office for play fighting when the associate principal happened to be walking through. I think this taught me that it is important to always maintain control in the classroom and also it stressed the importance of withitness.

No comments: