Monday, March 5, 2007

Leahy

First, I REALLY enjoyed this concert! I thought this was an amazing opportunity to hear music from several different genres. I especially liked hearing about the different heritages that the family had because their grandfather came from Ireland, and their mother from Nova Scotia. It is difficult to categorize the music of Leahy because it has such broad roots. I think that this concert helped to teach me that as a teacher it is important to incorporate music from many different areas so that my students can appreciate and even grow fond of music they may not have considered before. Also I believe that this was a good exhibition of the benefits of teaching music in the home environment. Because these brothers and sisters were exposed to a variety of instruments and music types they were able to further explore and develop their musical talents. I think that support and practice in the home is essential to growing as a musician. This was quite obvious in this concert!

No comments: